Saturday, May 21, 2011

S1: Tabula Rasa

"We're going to have to lie."

It's fantastic and funny that the lies begin ALREADY!  I seriously laughed out loud when the above quote was said in this episode.  The questions have begun and as a viewer I want answers, but I'm not going to get answers...I'm not going to get truth.  The fact of the matter is is that I'm going to get lies.  And I know that I'm not going to get lies all the time, but I'm going to get points of view that people hold as truths and I'm going to get half truths.

I understand that the Losties lie to the big group of survivors to protect them and not take away their hope.  Ignorance is bliss, but knowledge is also power.  So the Losties, in a way, put themselves in a position of power over those without the information.  Is that right or wrong?  I think it's a little bit of both, but that's human nature and ultimately human nature is a big theme of this show.  We don't always get what we want when it comes to people, because some people are straight with you while others beat around the bush.  People are neither black nor white, but shades of grey.

In this episode we get the first person who is most certainly many shades of grey - Kate.  We get a small piece of her back story, and we are shown that she is not naive but smart, not dangerous, but kind, not weak but strong.  And then on the flip side, we see that she's not smart, but naive, she's not kind, but dangerous, she's not strong, but weak.  We see that she's human and we are left with wanting to know more about her.

The ending scene with the powerful music that plays while Sayid throws Sawyer some fruit, Walt and Vincent re-unite, and Jin runs his finger through Sun's hair as she sleeps is the first of many scenes that I love in LOST.  No words are needed, but simple actions become profound among a group of people forced together by tragedy.

No comments:

Post a Comment